Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Is old fashoned media becoming outdated??


               I remember sitting around my kitchen table when I was young watching my dad read the newspaper after dinner. Is this staple of the American household starting to become a way of the past? After reading the report by the Pew Research Center, I was amazed to see what the priority of news topics was for online bloggers and for old fashioned mainstream media.


            Today the popularity of topics is much more different than what I thought they were. For instance today blogs spend more time on government and political topics than traditional news hole media does. This trend continues in other areas of news coverage such as foreign events, science and technology. These areas of news coverage bloggers spend more time on than traditionally trained news teams do. This to me is a slightly disturbing but understandable occurrence. If you think about it anyone in the world can create a blog and they most likely will blog about what is popular in the mass media outlet that they receive their information from.

            When I look and interpret the graphs from the study done by the Pew Research Center I have come to realize that most major newspapers have the same amount of linked bloggers.  For instance the Washington Post and the New York Times both have government and politics linked from them at around 27 percent. So due to the fact that bloggers need to link their publications to a credible news source I feel that traditional news journalism will not become obsolete. It may change form to an electronic newspaper or something but teams of classically trained news reporters and journalists will not in my opinion become obsolete. The reason this is true is because people have grown up trusting that the newspapers and news that they see on TV is credible. This is why bloggers need to link their information to credible sites. So no traditional news media will not become obsolete I feel if anything in the economic and social state that we are in it may become more credible than ever before.

Bibliography

 The Pew Research Center

http://www.journalism.org/analysis_report/blogosphere

No comments:

Post a Comment