Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Cars for the Visually Impaired


This week I saw a news story (on YouTube mind you – not the TV or a more common news site) about the successful execution of Google’s self-driving car.  A legally blind man climbed into the drivers’ seat (under the close supervision of Google engineers & cameramen, of course) and went for a drive to Taco Bell drive through.  Yes – you read that correctly, a legally blind man ‘drove’ a car! 

            Although these cars aren’t on the market yet, they are a token of the future.  Using sensors the car successfully stopped at stoplights and stop signs and navigated the narrow path next to Taco Bell BY ITSELF.
            The thing that interests me the most here is the cultural changes that the future promises to bring.  Upon this drive, Google spent a long time in their legal department ensuring they wouldn’t be arrested on this drive.  There were a few differences between Nevada and California, so they chose to make the drive in California, under the supervision of the police department.  The cars also have some of the same characteristics as a car in Drivers’ Ed – so the person in the passenger seat has the ability to course-correct if necessary. 
            What will happen if or when these types of cars become prevalent?  How much will legislature have to change if it’s a car malfunction instead of a speeding person?  What would happen if there were self-piloting cars and regular drivers on the road simultaneously?  Is this safe? 
            Will drivers ed become obsolete?  Will people still have to learn to drive or can anyone just get into cars and go?  Will we have to wait until 16 to get behind the wheel or can we go as soon as we figure out how to work it?
            It’s easy to see that with new technology come new concerns.  Many of the questions I’ve asked could be generalized as technology continues to advance.  How will lawmakers be able to keep up with the life-changing technology we’re beginning to see?
            A question for my readers:  Would you be comfortable getting into a car that wasn’t controlled manually?  Why or why not?
            After watching enough videos of successful drives such as this one, I think I would do it, especially in Pennsylvania – there aren’t as many obstacles or accidents-to-be here.  I would be very hesitant to use it in a city, but that reflects my regular driving right now!  I avoid city driving when possible, but prefer to be in control otherwise! 

Works Cited: 
"Google Drives Blind Guy to Taco Bell?!" SourceFed. YouTube, 02 Apr. 2012. Web. 2 Apr. 2012. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQeoCOe-NTo>.
Hachman, Mark. "Police: Blind Driver's Trip in Google's Self-Driving Car Was Legal." PCMAG. PCMAG.com, 29 Mar. 2012. Web. 2 Apr. 2012. <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402380,00.asp>.

5 comments:

  1. I would be comfortable getting into a car that wasn't controlled manually. I trust machines more than I trust myself, to be honest. A person can fall asleep at the wheel or run a stop sign because he/she is not paying attention. The kinks would have to be worked out, though. I wouldn't trust it if there were any incidences where something went wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like we discussed in class, I think that innovations like this may lead into many more and unpredictable advances in technology. While we may not be able to pinpoint the exact extent to which this specific innovation will reach, I am sure it will influence many other entrepreneurs down the road. It seems like an incredible advancement for people with disabilities, not just the visually impaired. It will be interesting to see more about this in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is amazing! I think this is an awesome invention! I personally feel this could stop many accidents that occur from texting, talking on cell phones and even falling asleep. It is amazing that it can be used for blind people but it would also be convenient for seeing people in order for higher convenience which we all know is so important to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is incredible! I think it goes to show just how far we can go with the help of technology. I would feel safe getting into a car like this because technology can be more perfect then the human. It is wild to think a blind person could possibly drive, but also a great feat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is awesome! Its crazy that technology has allowed us to do this. But I think that I would have a hard time trusting a car to drive for me. Once I learn that an accident had occurred while in this car, that would be it for me; I would not be able to drive it until I know it is completely safe!

    ReplyDelete