Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Ups and Downs, Likes and Dislikes

Like: Convenience, multi-tasking, Dislike: Cost, planned obsolescence Technology is everywhere in the twenty-first century in which we live. New ideas are brought to life every day and as we have seen, the possibilities are really endless. As with everything there are pros and cons, likes and dislikes and technology is a perfect example of how this is so. I am the proud owner of 3 Apple products and must say that I’m not only pleased with their performance, but with their look as well. For me, aesthetics are important when it comes to technology. I love the sleek look of Apple’s devices and the idea that they’re more powerful than their predecessors and competitors. What I enjoy about technology in general is the convenience. I love having a world of information at my fingertips (though I’d still happily open a book any day). Sometimes it’s just not feasible for one to do everything that you can with an iPhone at the same time, so technology’s multi-tasking capabilities are also an attraction. My dislike list is a bit longer when it comes to the frustrations that technology can spawn within a person. First issue: the cost. It’s tough to keep up with the pace of technology (especially speaking of Apple here) without spending a small (or large) fortune. This brings me to my second dislike, planned obsolescence. While innovation is good and we are indeed blessed to have the technology that we do, the idea that a product will become obsolete within a month or a year is sort of awful. I want the things that I spend large amounts of money on, to last me for years, not weeks as per today’s technological reality. -Susanne Makosky

No comments:

Post a Comment