Thursday, February 9, 2012

Phantom Vibration Syndrome


            Before reading Is Google Making Us Stupid?, these ideas regarding technology

and the functions of the brain never crossed my mind. Call me a hypochondriac, but after

reading this article, I feel the precisely the same way as the author.
   
            It really does make sense. Our world has become increasingly surrounded by

technology as a means of both convenience and subsistence. The author, however,

focuses on how the convenience of technology has a correlation with the actual functions

of our brain. When writing was invented, we began to get lazy because we could rely on

written material, along with Google’s ability that allows us to find/read/do anything in

seconds.

             Technology has created a fast-paced society in which we have become

accustomed to completing tasks immediately. If we send an email we expect to have a

reply in a relatively quick manner. We expect Google to have pertinent results in

seconds. If we receive a text, our friends expect to have an answer. As the author

suggested in the article, this has created a sense of anxiety and inability to focus. There

are so many avenues for information and communication that our minds attempt to keep

on top of all of them, simultaneously.

             Personally, I can relate to this slight anxiety with what some have called

“phantom vibration syndrome.” It is the feeling that your cell phone is vibrating in your

pocket, when in reality, you have not received a text or a call. I suspect that I am not the

only one in class to have experienced this. In my opinion, I believe it can be attributed to

our brain’s need to be quick and efficient, just like Google and just like the assembly line.

If I feel that my phone is vibrating, I have to answer right away, just like my friends and

family expect!



Haupt, Angela. "Good Vibrations? Bad? None at all?." USA Today. http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-06-12-cellphones_N.htm.

3 comments:

  1. David,
    I really like how you bring phone vibrations into play. It not only catches people attention, but also relates to many people, especially college students. This has happened to me before and it really catches my attention on how our need for technology is almost unconscious. It is actually slightly concerning. I like how your relate this fake vibration issue to our brains want for quick and easy information. Very interesting and eye-opening blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that the immediacy of technology today contributes to us being anxious about staying ahead of the game and which, in turn, makes it harder to focus sometimes. However, I don't think that just because technology, like Google and the internet, encourages us to live this way, that we cannot choose to take control of our minds. I think that it is possible for us to retake control of our thoughts and actions, and by doing so to reduce our anxiety and increase our ability to focus. The problem, however, is that it takes more effort to accomplish this with all of the things vying for our attention than it did even a few decades ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your point about phone vibrations. I think that is an interesting way of looking at it and I can relate. i also agree with you that we rely on google and get frustrated when we do not have instant gratification on our curiosities. However, I wouldn't necessarily say we have become incapable of finding information out on our own. there is just less of a need to.

    ReplyDelete