Thursday, February 9, 2012

What we lost along the way...

The role of quick-stream media has become more prevalent in our years as students. After reading this article I can’t help but ask myself have I been facing the same issues?
Hell yes.
I believe with our upbringing this generation is finding a little easier to manage an academic life with
I believe with our upbringing this generation is finding a little easier to manage an academic life with knowing we will be observed in our ability to read and absorb long scripts of documentation. As a current college student I find it difficult to get through some reading, this may be subject to the fact that we attend a liberal arts school and many things I am required to read doesn’t quite fall under my major choice, however I feel that my passion for exploration has faded more recently when reading passages that would have once intrigued me.
Carr states that this is a result of our use of online databases and habitual traits of skimming passages instead of letting them resonate and fester within our minds to find deeper and more comprehensive meaning. We look for the thesis, to prove what points we may bring up in class and a few main points to defend it. This daunting procedure of reading has followed me through high school and most of college, honestly, how many of us really got through this entire article in one piece with a serious contemplation of what the author brought into play with narrating his argument.
I’ve recently read an article that presented proof for an issue that is said to be a common issue students also face when reading and writing. The article is titled Are We Losing Our Memory? In this article Stile presents to us a track in history where the loss of lengthy memory and information sorting within our brains. I feel this is due to our use of technologies that hold memory for us; our ancestors are known to recite epics that would go on for hours. The stories they recited, no matter how many times recited didn’t waiver in concepts or plot line, it was the way they taught their children morals in the Age of Orality. We as students find ourselves finding it hard to memorize short presentations we have to give in front of a class, what if we were to lose all technology and media leaving us to tell tales to our young in order to teach them? Would we be able to do that?
I would like to say yes…however I wouldn’t be the sage in the village.

Stille, Alexander. "Are we losing our memory?." Lost magazine. FEB 2006: n. page. Web. 9 Feb. 2012. <http://www.lostmag.com/issue3/memory.php>

3 comments:

  1. I really like your post and i agree that we really dont let the texts that we read resonate in our head and ask ourselves what is the deeper meaning of the text. Do you feel that this is because of the avability of technology ? Or do you fee that we can reverse this trend in society?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don' think it is anything that "we lost." In my opinion, we are evolving and adapting to the new technologies that are available to us. We may not be able to orate an entire epic, but we now have a new set of skills. We have the ability to find new information, which has brewed curiosity. While there are downsides to the new way we read and look for information, I am optimistic about the effects it has had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You found a really good source to back up your opinion. Memory really is being reprogrammed. Our attention spans have reduced exponentially due to the fact we can usually find the "thesis" or main part of a paper in seconds on the internet. Yes, some of our readings are extremely boring and tedious, but I think it also has to do with our impatience we develop through Google and other quick search engines. I enjoyed this blog.

    ReplyDelete