Thursday, March 22, 2012

Lost in Interpretation


            “A global survey shows that 67 percent of senior executives and managers say their organization would be more productive if their superiors communicated more often by personal discussion. While they desire more personal discussion from their superiors, however, the top personal method of communicating for these same business leaders is e-mail, based on the survey by NFI Research.” (Martin).
            Interesting, isn’t it? That we are constantly craving face-to-face interaction in both personal AND professional settings, and yet, we continue to communicate electronically even when more personal contact is a possibility.
            I think people have developed into a more self-conscious breed. We are constantly afraid of what everyone around us is thinking, and in the moment is just too absurd a thought to muster. God forbid someone actually SEE us when we’re not looking like super-models or HEAR us stutter and stumble over our words.
            Always, I prefer human contact when communicating, a face-to-face interaction. I have found myself in more than one instance where emails are misinterpreted between my best friend and myself. We’ve known each other for 15 years, and still, there are times when our intended messages are lost in reading.
            I’ve also developed my own little theory about online dating…you can’t REALLY know the person until you meet them in real life. Anyone can be perfect on paper, and even on Skype…but it takes true human chemistry to be able to stay with someone and know whether or not the two are compatible. You just don’t know what’s really going on, especially in terms of sarcasm or double-meaning concepts.
            Martin agrees with me in saying “With so much to do at work, it’s not always easy to find time for personal discussion. However, in the long term, face-to-face communication just might assure that communication is clear and understood.”

Source:
Martin, Chuck. “The Importance of Face-to-Face Communication at Work.” March 6, 2007. March 22, 2012. <http://www.cio.com/article/29898/The_Importance_of_Face_to_Face_
            Communication_at_Work>

3 comments:

  1. I like the point you made about how everyone craves face-to-face communication but we chose electronic communication first. Electronic communication is just so easy and much faster! However, major points can be misunderstood in an email which can cause even more frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to say, I dislike email as well. Human contact is so much better than email, if it is possible. Especially in business or school settings, human contact is necessary. If my boss or teacher emails me, I'd definitely be less likely to respond than if they had a face to face chat with me. It means more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also believe we need to communicate face to face more often. The problem is that our society is becoming more fast paced everyday. I think this lends to our behavior of wanting to get everything done quickly which in business requires a lot of technology. Being able to communicate face to face would also decrease the amount of miscommunication between parties.

    ReplyDelete