Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Oh Siri, how I love thee.

Technology has definitely through the ages formed fissures in human interdependence.  I have found that some people feel a sense of importance with the idea of ownership comes into play, and when an object can confirm or refute information to the user it adds a little flavor to the love cycle between a person and their owned technology. Don’t get me wrong, I love good technology, I’m sure I love it more than the next guy; but when it comes down to the distancing effect it causes we begin to see the dilemmas it raises in current society.

My appreciation for technology lies mostly in cosmetics, being a tech-buff is something some pride themselves in; I can attest that I am in this category of people. Everything from Android phones to Galaxy Tablets – you name it- I’ve done extensive research in purchasing items like these. My love for cosmetics however does not justify what I feel is the downside to technology, the downside being distancing.
I work in an area of my college where most of the employees live single lives, traveling for the most part and having little to no time to settle down and move onto some of the more traditional paths of American life. These guys I’ve realized aren’t very technologically savvy but when they were able to upgrade their old Android phones for iPhone 4S, something interesting happened amongst them.  
As you all may know, one of the main upgrades for this new iPhone is the Siri application. According to Apple Siri allows you to use your voice to do various tasks that would otherwise require human PROGRAMMING It allows you to vocally initiate message sending, scheduling, placing phone calls, and most importantly; troubleshoot information that would otherwise need human INTERACTION. This is where I find concern. I went around the office and the employees what they thought about Siri separately, each and every person responded with the same stock response: “I love her”. This was slightly unnerving, after more conversation with everyone individually I realized that a common question asked to Siri between them happened to be “Siri, do you love me?”. The responses from the program varied from "All you need is love. And your iPhone." to "impossible." One associate actually proposed to the program and the response was: “My user agreement doesn’t cover marriage.”
DISTANCING (Em Rowley stated some information on Generation X & Generation Y, I would think that Generation V would never have imagined us to be asking our equipment these interpersonal questions.), naturally we need a little human interaction to get through the day, I can however imagine a generation where human interaction falls from the stream of ‘the norm’.
Apple, . "Siri 'bets'." Apple.com. Apple, 1/1/2012. Web. 18 Jan 2012. <http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/siri.html>.

6 comments:

  1. These are some very interesting observations, and I would have to say that while I don't personally know anyone with the newest iPhone yet, I can certainly believe that people would feel this way, even if it's not in a serious manner. Even I occasionally find some piece of technology to feel a strong connection to, even though there is still so far for it to go. It looks fairly certain now that at some point in the future, robots will be able to have at least the functionality of Siri, likely far more, and will be nearly human in appearance. This sort of reaction to those hypothetical androids, while harmless now, could be worrisome in the future. Do you feel that a lot of people would have the same kind of reaction to an android, or is it because Siri is so clearly nonhuman despite her ability to interact that they feel comfortable? And are only a certain segment of the population vulnerable, as you said, those who have few human connections because they are always traveling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that it is because their lack of intimate companionship they require a substitute. Again, they all live alone and travel often leaving them to deal with a lot of things on their own. When I first met them I've noticed certain things that aren't normal for interpersonal interaction; whether it be their excitement for conversation or their lack of dependence.

    They meet TONS of people during their travels however they don;t make any TRUE connections with any of them, and by true I mean emotional or intrinsic.

    These claims are only my analysis and opinion I guess some others will be able to detest some things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, thanks for the shout-out. Second of all, great observations and comparisons to everyday life. It's so interesting to me how freely we use the term "love." We tell people we love them, but also our technology. Because of this, I agree with you that I can envision a society where we lose much of our human contact and I think it could come back around and truly destroy the human race as we know it. Check out my lastest entry for more insight on that. Great work, overall, I really liked your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not have a smart phone. I am content with my standard cell phone, but I do envy those who have Androids and iPhones, especially the iPhone 4S. I can see how one could become attached to a phone that offers so much human-like interaction because I even find myself attached to my dingy little phone. I do not want to imagine what my reliance on a phone such as the 4S would be like because of all its useful and interesting apps.For me, I think it is best to keep this tempting addiction in the hands of others instead of allowing it to take up even more of my time than my present phone does.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought your perspective was very interesting. I also do not own a smart phone; but I see the dependence of others on their smart phone. I see the amount of time they spend playing games, checking email, going on facebook, etc. All I know is that if I had a smartphone I would spend all of my time doing those things as well. I would rather spend my time conversing with people in person.

    I also find it hard to believe that they don't form connections with people during their travels. But maybe they do not feel comfortable talking to people in person, which might become a serious issue if people rely only on technology rather than in-person conversations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked your post. I definitely agree that a major problem of technology is how users become distant from one another. I also think our dependence on technology causes people to lose many basic skills, like navigating a map. GPS systems have made that skill less useful. Siri has, likewise, made research skills less importnat.

    ReplyDelete