Tuesday, January 17, 2012

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

I love the speed of technology, and how the advances are changing our world. I think it’s amazing that I can set up a dinner reservation or order a pizza on my iTouch, or connect with people I haven’t seen on years on social networking sites. I think that social networking is an amazing phenomenon that our generation has really embraced. It’s possible to make the argument that social networks are a negative influence for their ability to open young minds to things they perhaps should not be privy to at such a young age, but I also believe there is some (hopefully a lot) of influence from parents that would help to avoid this, but that’s another argument altogether. Even things as simple as a remote car starter are such a simple, brilliant idea to me, and I cannot wait to see what the future brings.

I do think that there is a ‘dark side’ to technology as well. Because of the social networking sites I just praised, relationships are formed completely differently. As a communications major, I feel obliged to make the argument (I agree with it, of course) that technology is hurting personal relationships. I also feel that it is a hindrance to simple social skills. Because I could theoretically go my entire life without making a phone call for a dinner reservation, perhaps I wouldn’t know how to treat wait staff appropriately at a restaurant. If eventually no one knows how to treat wait staff nicely, they’d all quit! (Okay, maybe not all of them, but I imagine many would become bitter enough to swear off working with people altogether, I know I would!)

Many friendships are made via Facebook, and people are so used to talking to others via Facebook chat, tweets and e-mail that I worry that in the future, no one will really be able to claim “people skills” as one of their positive qualities in a job interview. Perhaps they will note their “ability to send a concise e-mail,” but I think that the ability to communicate well is one of the most valuable qualities in a person.

Shannon Webster, an author with Demand Media discusses how e-mail was one of the first major changes in communication. Although it is a more effective way of transferring thoughts and ideas to others, it takes away the subtleties such as sarcasm, or a good-heartedness that may be missed in an e-mail. She also discusses the potential unwanted effects that social media can have on a person’s life. One poorly tagged photo on Facebook could get you reprimanded at work, or a mean comment could cost you your job. Although the power to reach out to so many people simultaneously seems great, it comes with great responsibility.

Webster, Shannon. "What Are the Positive & Negative Effects of Using Technology to Communicate?" Chron.com. Demand Media. Web. 17 Jan. 2012.

1 comment:

  1. First of all, I love the title of your blog. Secondly, I do agree that social networking has been a huge part of our generation, and we all use it a lot, sometimes maybe too much. (Guilty) I know for me one of the first things I do when I return to my dorm, or room at home, is check my e-mails and go on facebook. It is amazing how much reliability we have on social networking. Thirdly, like you, I am also a communication major and I do agree that relationships are changing. I was abroad this past semester, and I went with a group of students who all but one had facebook. Each week, we would all make plans via facebook, and would sometimes forget that one person in our group who didn't have it. Throughout the semester, because it was harder to keep in touch with her, we didn't see her very much. I thought that was interesting how this played out. Because she didn't have facebook, she missed out on a lot of social activities we did, but is that her fault? Or ours? People skills are very important, and for this situation, they could have been used better, instead of just relying on technology communication. I hope in the future that people will still want go out and socialize with others, instead of staying in their rooms having technology do all the work.

    ReplyDelete