Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pros and Cons of Technology



            Without question technology has played a significant role in the modernization of our society.  With that said there are many reasons I like technology.  Technology allows me to connect and communicate with friends and family around the world in an instant.  Being a college student I see my friends and family less often then I am used to but technology like my iPhone, iPod touch and Mac laptop allow me the privilege of talking to them while at school.  Not only has technology provided me with a range of devices to allow me to keep in touch with others, but various ways of communicating as well.  Not only can I converse with people via email and text message but video chat allows me to connect visually with whom I am talking to.  Additionally, pros for technology, which I feel are crucial, are the extent of knowledge at our disposal.  As every college student knows writing papers consume a vast part of our experience and having the ability to stay in the comfort of our rooms and not walk or drive to a library is very helpful.  On the contrary, while there may be many benefits to technology as is with everything, there are downsides that often leave me frustrated with technology.
            Aside from the gains I receive from technology, I feel that it has many faults.  First, we tend to become dependent on technology, when it malfunctions we don’t know what to do next (Small Business).  I know first hand how frustrating it is to lose a cell phone; it is a part of me in a sense.  Secondly, I believe that technology distances us from the use of personal contact with others.  It seems like these days for example people prefer texting about an issue rather than resolving it face to face.  Finally, there is a constant need to stay up to date with the latest technology available.  This becomes not only time consuming, but costly as well.

Joseph, Chris. "Pros and Cons of Technology in Business Today." Small Business.
     Demand Media, n.d. Web. 19 Jan. 2012. <http://smallbusiness.chron.com/
     pros-cons-technology-business-today-2709.html>.

3 comments:

  1. Being a college student is very time consuming, and like you, I am so thankful for the ability to have technology that allows me to communicate with friends and family who are far away from me. And like you said, even videoing is a big step, that makes communicating with others 'more personal' in a way. But technology does consume a lot of our time. I was talking to a friend last night, who is going to visit his grandmother, saying that he won't have internet for ten days... and what is he going to do? Hearing him say that made me really think about how distant we are getting from each other. I hope that people will still want to be social, aside from the internet, in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your pros and cons. Staying in communication with people across the country is such a gain for people's lives, especially college students. If people are homesick they can see their family and friends over skype or face time. I think it's great you brought up the fact losing your phone makes you feel like you lost a part of you. Everyone is so dependent on their cell phones because texting has become a primary means of communicating, almost more primary than social interaction in person. There needs to be a nice middle ground found between technological interaction and personal interaction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to a lot of things you have said here. I feel that technology is definitely becoming a crucial necessity it our every day lives, especially college students. Your view points make me think about how different our lives would be without it, and how we would deal with things, or what we would do if it was taken away from us for a couple of days. We definitely have become very dependent on it, maybe a little too dependent. I feel that you may be contradicting yourself a little when you point out how great it is that technology allows us to communicate with one another from different locations, but then go on to say that it can distance us from personal contact. I think I can see what you may be implying or trying to say, though.

    ReplyDelete