Thursday, February 23, 2012

Technology in the Future


For the free choice blog, I would like to talk about the future of technology. As a society, we have already made great strides forward with technology. But how far can we go? Is there a limit to the progress that we can make? If not, then what will the future be like?

       As a kid, I can remember playing the nintendo. My brother and I would play some game and always end up in a fight. But then as time went on we got a playstation, and then a playstation 2 and now 3. We went from a controller with 3 buttons to a game system that can download movies, music, and just about anything you want. My point is, that has happened in a span of 20 years, which for that kind of technology is really not that long at all. So what will my children be playing in the next 20 years? According to Michael Noer, of Forbes Magazine (2008), “ In 10 years, mashing buttons to control on-screen avatars will no longer be enough. Gamers will insist on being able to "feel" a game, or to "move" realistically within it. We already have force-feedback steering wheels, guitar-shaped controllers and pressure-sensitive dance pads. In the future, expect much more.”

      It is important to understand that while I am only focusing on the technology of gaming, the article can relate to much more than that. From this article, I would say there is no limit to the progress we can make, not just with gaming, but with technology in a broader sense.

       Basically what I am saying is that, in a way, we should be excited about what the future of technology has in store for us as a society. Who knows, maybe even one day we will be riding around in these “hovercrafts” like George Jetson. In any case, it should be quite the spectacle.

5 comments:

  1. The future is exciting, and for me a bit scary to think about in all aspects, but especially technology. Like you said, technology has grown so rapidly during our generation, what will our children be playing? I am not an expert at all about many video games, but I recently found a video that deals with what you are talking about with video games. How in the future, gamers will be able to "feel" a game or be able to control the game with their bodies. (Just look at Kinect for Xbox.. and Just Dance, where people's movements are evaluated based on the screen dancers!) This video: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2Q3xcp/www.ted.com/talks/torsten_reil_studies_biology_to_make_animation.html/ is long, but talks about how they are improving methods to have those kind of options for gamers in the future. I wonder though, if people are able to start to 'feel' certain games, will psychological problems evolve? I know many gamers love Call Of Duty and other war games such as that, but if people can be put into situations like those more realistically, what could this do to how they think. We already have seen what war can do to some soldiers, so could that happen to us too? Something to think about... For some games, yes I think this would be great. But there is always two sides and each side has to be evaluated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should be excited for the future! Who knows what crazy new thing they will think of next. And I did hear about ability for "feel" the game being played. Personally I think that sounds awesome.

    And Felicia, I think you bring up a great point about potential psychological problems that might evolve from gaming. The following article talks about video games and how it can cause violent and aggressive behavior: http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1723. I think that these new video games could potentially cause psychological problems since they will have a more realistic feeling to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we're already starting to see these huge changes in technology. Although they're not open to all gamers, I am pretty sure that virtual gaming experiences are already starting to exist! I think that in the future we'll see people with the arcade style driving games in their homes, where they have the opportunity to actually ride in the car they're 'racing'. If people's future wants do match up with your argument, I think this is going to be one of the only ways to deal with it. I think that will actually be really cool, and I would look forward to a more interactive gaming experience in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree we must also be excited about what is next to come. It is truly amazing the things we have done so far, and the future is only looking better. For all we know they could be working on being able to feel yourself in the game as we speak. Technology has proved there is virtually no limit on what we can accomplish. If we continue to invest in technology I think our gaming and real life experiences will only get better. I am truly excited to see what the future has in store for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree I wonder how far tecyhnology will get. Will we be able to just think about someting and it will happen? I think technology has come a long way from the beginning and I am excited for what is gonna come next. My only question is how far will technology go before it stops advancing.

    ReplyDelete