Thursday, February 23, 2012

Which came first: your cell phone, or sleep?

Technology has equipped us with such an immediate portal of communication where we find our lives subject to its whims. As humans, do we owe it to ourselves to find sustenance in peaceful setting where we can detach ourselves from the day’s labors? Will we ever be able to fully step away from the mess of strings connecting us to the workplace? There is a question we must reflect on as students, mentors, and citizens of the world:

When we clock out and leave the office, are we really done working?


This is a very big question we’re facing as members of a technology driven society. I personally feel that to properly function as a successful student I would need 27 hours in the day. Unfortunately, this is not a leisure any of us have so we must deal. With all the time we put into our work during the day where must we draw the line to maintain our social life? If earlier times once you slipped that card into the time punch slot and grabbed your lunchbox from the refrigerator in preparation for that peaceful drive home, you were done for the day. In current times, there is virtually NO distance between your office and yourself even in the privacy of your own home due to our constant and instantaneous connection through portable technologies.
So where must we draw the line?
In the article titled Does technology make us work longer or shorter hours? the question of technological benefits is set onto the table. Are we being more efficient or are we sacrificing our personal lives? I personally don’t believe the line can exist. If we are to procure something that appears to be a line it would be mangled with many exceptions. What about that call you need to make, or the stock that you’ve recently purchased that is on the fence. I believe that we can never fully escape from our work, no matter how far we run, it will be in our pockets. Awaiting our touch.
So does this mean we should never clock out and get paid for our self-mutilation?


4 comments:

  1. This is very interesting to think about! I know for some jobs (such as counselors) they have their clients call them on their cell phone if need be. That means they are on call every hour of every day. So I agree that technology has in a sense made some of us work longer hours. But your question at the end of your blog is one to think about. Many do work outside of work and might not get paid overtime. How should our society address this?

    Also, I really like the title of your blog. When I first starting reading your blog, I thought of myself and how I always have my phone with me. Even when I am sleeping I use my phone as an alarm clock, sometimes keeping it on sound if I know that my friends might call to talk. If this happens, I disrupt my sleep schedule, and that can be bad for me during the rest of the week. We need our sleep, but sometimes friends or work are more important.... or is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never thought about things in this way. Many people stay connected even after they leave the office. Although you are away from work, you are still expected to be available to take a conference call or offer assistance to a fellow employee. I feel like there is no leisure of turning your phone off and enjoying some time away from the stress at work because we are now expected to be available at virtually every hour of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is so true, and I already feel the struggles from this in college! This morning someone from the enrollment office called my phone at 8:30 in the morning. I'm not supposed to go into the office until 2:30 this afternoon, but I was already needed in the office even though I'm not a permanent employee. I think that we'll be feeling the e(a?)ffects of this forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is true, and it is hard to actually "clock out". We always do so much more than what are title implies. Cell phones and technology have definitely replaced the way we do things. They have completely changed how the world operates now. Very good article!

    ReplyDelete