Sunday, February 19, 2012

Will A "WALL-E" World Be Our Future?

I am sure many of you have seen WALL-E, the movie about a robot named WALL-E whose job it is to clean up the waste covered earth. All the humans are in space on a space ship where they are all obese after years and years of relying on the technology from the ship. This movie has really got me thinking, about a potential future for our world. Now, this might seem a big dramatic, but I wouldn't say that it is too far off. Think about it, with the rapid rate of technology, things are much easier for us to do. We communicate easier, can travel faster, learn more cures faster, etc, but with all this technology, could it be making us lazier, leading to a point where there is no need to physically move anymore?


I think it could be possible in the future. With all the new technology, we are able to go into space more and more. Russia is in the process of building space hotels, where people can stay for a hefty price, but a unique view of the earth. * Video (< Click there to view a short video about the Russian Space Hotel, and if that doesn't work, the link is at the bottom of the blog). So what will our future hold?

My friend just got a new computer, and to log in, he does a finger scan, instead of typing in a password, etc. Once the computer is on, he can also use the finger scan to access a certain website. While I agree this is a pretty cool addition to the computer, what will it mean for future computers? Will computers change so much, that we may not need a keyboard anymore and instead we would just have voice activations and touch screens? These are starting to happen, we have iPads now that is like a computer but smaller. So I am thinking, that computers might start going out of 'style' soon. How crazy it is how fast technology is moving, and then what? Will we be traveling into space to run away from problems we are producing, and turn into a "WALL-E" world? Or how much social interactions will we have in the future, if they are all being slowly made easier to us with technology. A person can be in their bed and have a business conversation over Skype. It's all things to think about. Now I am not trying to say that technology is bad, because I do like it. I just wanted to think about it from a different perspective and see how it has changed us now, and what might happen in the future. I am hoping that we don't become a "WALL-E' world.

*http://rt.com/news/space-hotel-million-orbital-329/

2 comments:

  1. I love your reference to WALL-E! I love this movie and actually just watched it the other day. Your blog really made me stop and think about how this could possibly be true. I doubt this would ever be in our lifetime but it is still interesting to think. I find your point about not needing to physically move because of technology very interesting. When watching WALL-E you begin to laugh at these overweight people riding moving chairs...but maybe this is the future? kind of scary actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We never know exactly how our futures will play out, but I think that Wall-e provides an excellent perspective on the fact that there potentially could be consequences to humanity. I've thought about bringing Wall-e up many times and I still think we should watch it in class.

    ReplyDelete