Monday, February 20, 2012

Technology Distractions in the Workplace


            According to a recent survey by Workplace Options, it is estimated that American Businesses lose around 650 billion dollars a year due to work place distractions.  These distractions can include, work place drama, meetings that run over time or most of all technology.  More than 53 percent of employees admitted to these distractions affecting their productivity for their company.  In the survey, technology came in first place with 25% of the vote for biggest distraction.  Personnel such as office mates and coworkers was second with 23%.  Meetings and luncheons was next with 12%.  Last was celebrations with 4%. 

            Having personal experience in the workplace myself, I know that my cell phone distracts me a lot at work.  I have worked in many different types of jobs and my cell phone is always a major distraction during my shift.  I always try to text and check my phone when I am less busy at work but it is still a distraction in the end.  Also at my job at work, I always have my computer with me which poses a distraction with social networks and computer blogging.  55% of employees feel social media is a huge distraction at the workplace. 

            Another experience I have with distractions in the workplace is my mother working from home.  She has been working from home for about a year and she often gets distracted from social networking and her cell phone.  She is a very good worker but it is very easy for her to get distracted with no one watching over her shoulder to see what she is doing.  Employees working from home have to be very disciplined and  balance distractions and production for their company.

            Some quick fixes I have for the problem of technology distraction is banning technology at the workplace, blocking social networking sites in the workplace or tracing the amount of off topic technology used during work hours.  Some of these may impede on employee satisfaction but may overall increase production rates.  A business could also make rules about less off topic technology used but make positive outcomes like paying for a portion of cell phone bills or something to improve employee satisfaction. 

            Employee satisfaction is very important but overall production of a business is the most important thing.  Technology can take away from good production of a business.  Cell phones, social networks and computer programs can have a very large impact on production distractions. 



"Survey Says: Workplace Distractions Affect Productivity | TechJournal South." TechJournal. 30 Sept. 2010. Web. 20 Feb. 2012. <http://www.techjournalsouth.com/2010/09/survey-says-workplace-distractions-affect-productivity/>.

1 comment:

  1. Court I really enjoyed reading your post. I liked how you brouht up technology as a main cause of work place distraction. I also liked how you gave a few quick fixes..Do you think that if people are monotered that much they will eventually resent the fact that they work for that company and then start to perform badly because they feel that they are not trusted? over all really good job

    ReplyDelete