Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Technology and the Generation Gap

I conducted interviews from my parents who are in their 50’s and a professor at Juniata in their 40’s. All interviewees described how having computer technology readily available to them has helped to make their lives easier. They mentioned that it was easier to access information whether at work or at their own leisure.

One point my father mentioned was that he is good at interpreting information but had more difficulty gathering information. Back in the day, one would have to know something background information about their topic of interest in order to gather information on it. Today, you can type one word into the search bar and the results are endless. This process is different from the manual process used during my father’s childhood—he had to re-learn the process of gathering information. He mentioned that it was difficult for him to learn the new way since everyone typically falls back to what you know.
Since my generation has grown up with the computer it is easier for us to gather information because that was the first thing we were taught. Older generations learned the old way to gather information and were introduced to a new way; they never developed the training that we had when we were growing up. He stated: “Because you grew up with this tool, you are more comfortable with figuring it out for yourself.” So he had to transition to a new way of gathering information.
My mother mentioned that technology is taking over. Being a guidance counselor at a middle school, she sees all of these students attached to their cell phone. She has to deal with many student problems regarding texting, Facebook messages, etc. A lot of the cases are based around bullying. Bullies will harass others during school hours, but will also continue throughout the day by writing harsh messages on their Facebook wall or through texting. Researchers reported that a growing number of school children are being bullied via text messaging (Somanader, 2011). Out of 1,100 middle school and high school students surveyed in 2008, 24 percent said they have been "harassed"--through vicious rumors, rude or meant comments, or threats-- by texting (Somanader, 2011). Cell phones seems to have become the weapon of choice for bullies and have become a major concern. 
In addition, my mother mentioned that technology has taken a change for the worst. She mentioned how back in the day all the children would play outside after school, but today everyone comes home and plays video games, goes on the computer, or uses their cell phone. Everyone seems to have lost this personal contact that she wished was more prominent today. When I go home for break, my mother hates when I spend hours texting my friends. She has even made it a rule to not bring our cell phone to the dinner table or to family gatherings. Some of our habits with our technology are considered rude when compared to how she was brought up.
One point my professor made was how handwriting is becoming less common since most assignments are usually typed. They did mention that students’ handwriting is getting worse overtime, as well as students’ spelling skills.
Having computers around me for my entire life has been such a privilege. I cannot imagine my life without one. But I feel like my mother stressed the importance of playing with friends outside and socializing in person during my childhood. So I do feel that I was raised similar to how my mother was growing up. As I got older technology became part of my life very quickly. Especially in high school and college, the Internet has become my best friend and has made my life so much easier. I can admit that I would have major difficulty if I didn’t have Google to help me find information for projects, etc.
            Overall, I feel that technology has had a positive impact on our society. I do see how it has affected personal contact with others and how it can be used as a weapon for bullies; however I do see how it has made our lives easier, especially when it comes to accessing information.

Somanader, Tanya. "Report: Bullying By Text Message Now More Prevalent."ThinkProgress. 21 Nov. 2011. Web. 01 Feb. 2012. <http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2011/11/21/373891/report-bullying-by-text-message-now-more-prevalent/?mobile=nc>.

4 comments:

  1. Your comments on handwriting are spot on. It is a skill and technique that I feel our generation has lost. We are used to the perfection of fonts and rarely hand write anything. A good portion of students take notes on their computers, which is one of our last opportunities to "practice" handwriting. I can barely even read my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the opening of the article, you mention that your father feels like he is good at interpreting information, but is not as used to the availability of information today, considering how much harder it was to access it. Do you feel like our generation has the opposite problem, able to gather information about anything at any time but having a hard time processing and interpreting that data to get meaning out of it? I know I have become very comfortable using Google to teach myself any number of things, rather than taking the time to go talk to a professor or look it up in an encyclopedia, etc. But I also think it is almost more important to be able to understand the information you are taking in, because without understanding, what would be the point of having the information in the first place? In addition, I tend to agree with your comments about handwriting. I know mine is particularly atrocious, though I don't think it is entirely from disuse, but having only focused on the skills for two years out of 13 of schooling makes it one of the least-perfected, even if not the least-used, of skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very grateful to have the use of computers to help with researching for papers and projects and could not imagine going to school when my parents did. I also like what you said about how students' handwriting is becoming worse because of the excessive use of computers. I have also noticed that my spelling skills have worsened because I now rely on Spellchecker when typing and using my cell phone. It is almost embarrassing how many times I have had to use it while writing this comment. It is a little scary to think about what might happen to the spelling skills of future generations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy your interviewees mentioned how accessing information is dramatically easier because I think that is the most important part of the technology we have these days. It seems that everyone mentions negative factors about technology in their post, which makes sense, but it is not the whole story. Accessing information has made it easier to develop as a society, find potential cures for diseases and help spread awareness. There are many positive factors with technology and I am happy your blog post depicts that.

    ReplyDelete