Wednesday, April 18, 2012

College Students


            It is safe to say technology has a definite “place in the world”.  I think we need to look at how technology has evolved over that last half century, and realize technology is still rather young.  While technology definitely serves many different roles, I believe it continues to benefit more people each day.  Technology doesn’t stick to one particular thing; it is very flexible in its capabilities.  From farmers to stockbrokers technology plays a vital role in our society.  The great thing about technology is that each day it changes in some way, only expanding our potential.  Thus technology’s place in society is ever expanding and helps millions of us accomplish tasks daily.
            So many things are possible nowadays thanks in major part to technology.  It powers our nation and economy, which is vital for our survival.  “As a student who has a visual impairment, providing screen magnification software has provided me access to my school’s library services and to computers for reading, writing, and research—skills that I am using throughout my college career,” another student shared (US Dept. of Education).  For me personally as a college student I cant imagine life with out it.  I rely on it daily for email access, phone service and Wi-Fi to accomplish work and keep in touch with others.  Its place amongst my peers and myself is crucial for our education and work thereafter.  Not only does it have a major place in society as a whole but individually for those who are lucky enough to have access to it.
"Technology Can Revolutionize Education for College Students with Disabilities." 
     Homeroom. US Department of Education, n.d. Web. 18 Apr. 2012. 
     <http://www.ed.gov/blog/2011/12/ 
     technology-can-revolutionize-education-for-college-students-with-disabilities/>.

2 comments:

  1. I think this post is very interesting because in class we tend to talk about technology as something that we could do without and unnecessary expenditures. However, certain technology really does offer benefits that are needed in today's society. Your example is perfect because it shows how technology can really help people and level the playing field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that technology is a huge asset to us in the classroom, especially to college students. It is a great advantage but sometimes can also serve as a disadvantage, just as other things tend to do that have technology involved.

    ReplyDelete